Thursday, February 26, 2009

90 YEAR OLD FORCED BACK TO WORK

I can't believe I missed this last week ...

I stumbled upon this piece of 90 year-old retireee, Ian Thiermann, who was forced to go back to work for $10 an hour because he was wiped out by Bernie Madoff. But Mr. Tiermann was not a multi-millionaire; he lost his life savings, about $700,000.

I was especially interested because he's now working at a grocery store just down the street (there's only one street) where I use to work schlepping drinks as a bartender in Ben Lomond, California (during summer 1985). The story was also profiled on the CBS Evening News.



Why we separate the white collar criminals from the blue collar criminals is beyond me. There's no doubt in my mind that Bernie Madoff has caused more damage than the 3-time loser serving life for robbing the corner liquor store with a gun. And if anyone deserves to be with the regular robbers and thieves of this nation, it's Bernie Madoff.

- Mark

P.S. For those of you unfamiliar, Ben Lomond lies in the Santa Cruz mountains, which is about 20 minutes from the city of Santa Cruz (which sits across the bay from Monterey) ...


... and 10 mintues from Boulder Creek, where I grew up. What a great place.



Still, Madoff should be locked up with the regular criminals. No Country Club prison for him. I'll discuss this on Saturday's program.

No comments: