Monday, April 23, 2018

MENTOR & FRIEND: STANLEY EUGENE CLARK, RIP

Stanley Eugene Clark, June 11, 1942 - April 12, 2018

My regular readers have probably figured out that it's been a hectic two weeks for me. Apart from going into the final stretch of our academic year, my colleague, mentor and friend Dr. Stanley Eugene "Gene" Clark passed away on April 12.  Gene is one of the reasons I'm here at CSU Bakersfield, as he was the chair of the department when I was hired. It goes without saying that Gene went beyond the norm when it comes to being a mentor and friend.

Last week we inducted Gene into CSU Bakersfield's inaugural Hall of Fame class, which he knew about but ultimately could not make. It turned out to be a rather emotional moment for me, since I made his presentation. I'll leave it at that. I will miss him.

For those of you who knew Gene, services will be held at Greenlawn Cemetery (Panama Lane), this Friday and Saturday (April 27-28). Visitation is Friday, from 4 - 8 pm. Chapel services are on Saturday, beginning at 10 am.

Greenlawn has put together a web page for Gene, where visitors can post memories and general comments. You can access that page by clicking here.

- Mark

No comments: