Wednesday, January 13, 2010

MOVE YOUR MONEY ...

Watch this clip before scrolling down. If your computer can't support the piece click here.




I've done a couple of book signings since The Myth of the Free Market was released. One of the questions I've been asked at these signings is "What can we do?" Apart from suggesting that we pound on the doors of Congress I urged those in attendance to take their money out of the large commercial/investment banks and move it into local community banks and credit unions.

I've been meaning to write about this for some time now. As it turns out, someone's not only beaten me to the punch, but there is now a national movement. It's called "Move Your Money" and can be accessed at http://moveyourmoney.info/. The idea behind the movement is simple: If our government won't discipline or break up our bungling but "bailed out-bonus sucking-Too Big To Fail" banks then we should do what we can to punish them on our own.

I won't go into details - primarily because this piece does a great job of explaining why you should move your money (with links) - but the links here provide you with the sites that grade regional banks (local banks here) and credit unions (our local Safe 1 is a four star) that are stable, safe, and (more importantly) are doing the right thing. I don't have my money in any of our big, Too Big To Fail, bailed out banks. I don't primarily because, in my view, they're run by parasitic sociopaths who continue to bet on the same market garbage (like CDOs and CDSs) that brought our economy down.

I encourage you to got to the links in this post. More importantly, if you haven't done so already, I hope you move your money.

- Mark

No comments: