Friday, May 16, 2008

THE PATH TO PEACE?

I've been meaning to post this now since Sunday. Better late than never ...

I attended the Bakersfield Jazz Festival this past weekend and had blast. As I sat down to enjoy the Festival this Saturday our neighbors came up and offered cheese, crackers, sausage, strawberries, etc. With the wine flowing, I sat back and thought to myself, "If the world were one big jazz festival there would be no wars." The environment was simply awesome.

I know, I know ... my hypotheses is not going to help me develop a paper that will make into my discipline's top journals. But I was thinking it (the wine, I'm sure, helped).

I'm posting this because - and I'm embarrassed to say this - in the 14 years that I have lived and taught at CSUB I had never attended the Bakersfield Jazz Festival. I had gone to my office to work many times during the Festival, thinking that I would go after finishing my activities. But I always left. What a mistake.

In the process I learned something else. If there's a medal of Julian the Hospitaller, the Patron Saint of wandering musicians, Dr. Doug Davis deserves it. What an event. I'm going next year.

- Mark

No comments: