Monday, November 28, 2016

HISTORY'S WHISPER, AND DONALD TRUMP'S DARK POLITICAL DANCE

This winter break my plan is to put the finishing touches on the book I've been working on over the past three years. Tentatively titled "Is History Whispering in Our Ear?", I'm drawing on lectures and presentations I started giving after my first book was published in 2009. My primary argument is that we are seeing many of the same ugly characteristics and patterns that we saw in the 1920s and 1930s, and are either too historically illiterate or too politically warped to see the parallels. I've been blogging about these developments over the past few years, which you can access by clicking here.

As you can imagine, I have felt an extra sense of urgency to finish ever since Donald Trump danced his way into America's dark conservative heart, and won the electoral college two weeks ago.


This article from Chris Hedges speaks to several of the themes I'm discussing in my book. His opening paragraphs helps drive home the broader political implications of what's happening in the United States, and across the globe:

We await the crisis. It could be economic. It could be a terrorist attack within the United States. It could be widespread devastation caused by global warming. It could be nationwide unrest as the death spiral of the American empire intensifies. It could be another defeat in our endless and futile wars. The crisis is coming. And when it arrives it will be seized upon by the corporate state, nominally led by a clueless real estate developer, to impose martial law and formalize the end of American democracy. 
When we look back on this sad, pathetic period in American history we will ask the questions all who have slid into despotism ask. Why were we asleep? How did we allow this to happen? Why didn’t we see it coming? Why didn’t we resist?

I'll be posting more about my book in the coming weeks. You can access the rest of Hedges' article by clicking here.

- Mark 

No comments: