Friday, September 24, 2010

STEVEN COLBERT ... IN THE HOUSE


Steven Colbert testified before the House of Representatives today. He discussed his experience participating in the United Farmworker's Take Our Jobs campaign. He was in-character during his opening testimony. I especially appreciated this comment:


"My great grandfather didn't travel across the ocean to see this country overrun by immigrants ... "

During the closing of his opening remarks, this comment drew laughs from those in the audience who understand Colbert's mocking humor (starts at 4:58):


I trust that following my testimony both sides will work together on this issue, in the best interests of the American people ... as you always do [laughter]."

When asked, of all the issues he could bring attention to, why did he decide to get involved in the migrant farmer issue, Colbert got serious and replied:


"I like talking about people who don't have any power...I feel the need to speak for those who can't speak for themselves....We ask them to come and work, and then we ask them to leave again. They suffer, and have no rights."

Later, he drew from Matthew 25:40:


"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'"

Colbert's call that we either provide more Visas for farmworkers, or that we develop vegetables that pick themselves, was classic. But I especially liked it when Colbert, who discussed his one day experience as a cornpacker, told the very conservative Rep. Steve King (R-IA):

 "Sorry for saying cornpacker, I know it's an offensive term for gay Iowans."

As you can imagine, it didn't go over too well with Rep. King. Check out additional commentary here.

- Mark

Addendum: I forgot to mention, Colbet noted how only 16 people in America have taken up the UFW's offer to work in their Take Our Jobs campaign. Here's the complete video.


No comments: