Tuesday, October 7, 2008

19 DAYS ... $540 BILLION

So I'm finishing up some graphs for my book and decided to take a look at our national debt. I didn't think I needed to since I last checked 19 days ago. I'm glad I did. In a span of 19 days our nation added $540 billion in debt to our balance sheets.

No U.S. president has added that much to our national debt in one year, let alone in 19 days.

We also want to keep in mind that when President Bush entered office on January 20, 2001 our nation owed just $5.72 trillion ... and that number was going down. Today we owe about $10.18 trillion.

At this rate, and with an additional $800 billion added to our national tab, we could owe well over $11 trillion by the time George Bush leaves office.

You can check the numbers here.

- Mark

No comments: