Thursday, May 22, 2008

LOVE IS BEING THERE ...

I don't usually post on topics like this, but I wanted to share this "smell the roses" moment ...

This past Tuesday when my ex came to pick up the kids, my 10 year old daughter Monica informed me that her school's last recital and choir for the year was that evening at 7:00 pm. It was 5:30 pm.

After going through the usual routine of "Why didn't you tell me about this earlier, I have plans, and I need to teach class tonight ...", I told Monica that I might not make it. As she went off to her Mom's car my feelings went from consternation to guilt. I changed my plans.

When I walked into the auditorium, I saw an open seat in the middle isle. As I made my way toward the seat I spotted my daughter playing the clarinet. She saw me and seemed surprised. But her eyes lit up in a way that always let's me know that she has a smile in her heart. And just like that my guilt was gone.

The next day I asked Monica about her look of surprise. She responded, "I wasn't surprised Daddy. I knew you'd be there. You're always there ... because you love me."

- Mark

No comments: